History of Arch L. Heady & Son Funeral Directors
In 1932, Arch L. Heady, Sr. and his wife, Anna L. Heady, opened their first funeral home at the corner of Schiller Avenue and E. Oak St. in the Germantown neighborhood of Louisville. At that time, Arch L. Heady was in the construction business and was the owner of the Heady Construction Co., which he continued to operate while Anna L. Heady began their funeral home.
In 1933, Arch L. Heady, Sr. became a licensed undertaker and retired from his construction business to work with his wife full-time in their growing funeral business. In the mid 1930’s their son, Arch L. Heady, Jr., joined his parents in the business. Around the early 1940’s, they expanded the funeral home on E. Oak St. from the original shotgun house to a much larger building to accommodate the growing business as more families continued to use their services and facilities.
In January of 1952, the Heady family opened a second funeral home at 3601 Taylor Blvd., between Whitney and Carlisle Avenues, in the south end of Louisville. This impressive Bedford stone colonial building was constructed from the ground up and designed with the same level of comfort that families were accustomed to in their own homes. In the 1960’s, Arch L. Heady, III joined the family business working with his parents and grandparents until the deaths of Arch L. Heady, Sr. and Arch L. Heady, Jr. both in 1970.
At that time, Arch L. Heady III took over complete operation of the business and continued to expand to other areas of the city and county. The Heady family started in the funeral business with a commitment to personal and sincere service. Throughout our history, we have continued to lead and innovate, while working to maintain a high quality of personal service. The staff at Arch L. Heady & Son is proud to uphold this heritage and commitment to our community.