In 1911, Bernstein Funeral Home was established by Moses Bernstein. As a leader in funeral service, Mr. Bernstein provided Athens, as well as the State of Georgia, the first motorized hearse, which was built on a 1913 Ford chassis by Klein and Martin Machine Shop.
Mr. Bernstein also provided Athens with the first factory-assembled hearse. Because most of the streets were dirt roads and horse drawn carriages were still used behind the hearse for family transportation, Mr. Bernstein provided a water wagon that preceded the funeral procession to wet the road to keep the dust to a minimum.
Mr. Bernstein operated several undertaking parlors in the small towns outside Athens as well as establishing a burial insurance society where people could prepay their funeral expenses. After the death of Mr. Bernstein in 1948, Bernstein Funeral Home continued to be operated by the staff that was employed at that time.
In 1986, Bernstein Funeral Home was purchased by an affiliate of Service Corporation International. Today, we are proud to be a member of the Dignity Memorial® national network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers. Bernstein still remains a locally-operated business that holds itself to the highest standards of service and excellence that Mr. Bernstein established in 1911.