History of Borthwick Mortuary
William Borthwick, an established mortician, came to Honolulu in 1914 from Seattle. In 1916 he established Borthwick Mortuary on Chaplain Lane and Fort Street in downtown Honolulu. By 1925, there was a great need for a larger facility and Borthwick Mortuary moved to Nuuanu and School streets. In 1932, the need for a newer and larger complex dictated another move, this time across the street.
That same year, William Borthwick turned the mortuary over to his oldest son, James Harold who operated it until his death in 1943; then younger son, William Mendel Borthwick Sr. took over leadership. In 1958, William Mendel Jr. succeeded his father as manager of Borthwick Mortuary.
In 1960, the Hawaii state government began the development of Hawaii’s first freeway, the Lunalilo Freeway, and purchased the Borthwick Mortuary property. So once again, Borthwick Mortuary was on the move and finally settled at its present location at Maunakea and Kukui streets.
In January 1982, Borthwick Mortuary was purchased by Hawaii Mortuaries, Ltd. Then in 1992, Borthwick Mortuary was acquired by an affiliate of Service Corporation International. For over a century, Borthwick Mortuary has provided funeral and cremation services to the families of Hawaii with compassion and respect.
Today, we are proud to be a member of the Dignity Memorial® network. As North America’s largest network of funeral, cremation, and cemetery service providers, the Dignity Memorial brand is your assurance of quality, value, caring service and customer satisfaction.