Since 1832, the Waterman firm has served families of Greater Boston and New England as well as families from all parts of the world. The Waterman name is noted throughout the United States as a heritage leader of our field. They have served people from all walks of life as well as all faiths and cultures including eminent local and national figures, corporate executives, union leaders, governors, generals, and noted military, religious, civic, and charitable leaders.
The firm was founded by Joseph S. Waterman who associated himself with John Seaver, a cabinetmaker in Roxbury district of Boston, in 1832. Joseph S. Waterman developed his funeral trade, including the manufacture of coffins, and gradually moved his headquarters to a larger area. In 1870 and 1876 his sons, George H. and Frank S. Waterman, joined the firm, making it “Joseph S. Waterman & Sons.”
In 1890, the firm erected a new building at 2326-2328 Washington Street, Roxbury designed especially for the funeral service. This was the first building built in this country exclusively for the funeral business, and contained the first merchandise selection room. Since the firm’s inception until the very first automobile, the Watermans operated their stable, with fifty coal-black horses, drawing custom-made carriages and sleighs; unsurpassed in beauty and design.
In 1921, new buildings were acquired at 493, 495 and 497 Commonwealth Avenue, Kenmore Square, Boston. Maintaining the high standards, this establishment was designed particularly to cater to the comfort and care of families of all faiths and traditions. A formal Colonial Chapel, a first for the New England area (and one of the first funeral chapels in the country), was constructed in this establishment.
This new Waterman Chapel was the forerunner of the chapels for funeral services and set the trend among families to use a funeral chapel instead of their own homes. As public demand grew, and suburban Boston developed, several branches were opened to satisfy the need in nearby towns including Wellesley, Sudbury, Framingham, Marblehead, Lynn, Quincy, Norwood. Also served were the Southcoast areas of Fall River and New Bedford, Mass., as well as Tiverton, Sakonnet and Little Compton, RI.
In September 1990, the Waring family, a fifth-generation heritage family within funeral service, joined with the Waterman family.The Harborside Funeral Home of Joseph A. Langone, Jr.
The Joseph A. Langone Funeral Home was established in 1886 by Guiseppe Antonio Langone from the Botti region of Italy. He began, as most funeral directors of this time, as a stable owner and furniture builder. The original storefront was on North Street in the North End of Boston.
In 1923, his son Joseph A. Langone Jr., joined his father in business and they opened one of the original funeral parlors in the greater Boston area on Hanover Street. In this location, the family handled the famous funerals of Sacco and Vanzetti. During World War I, they erected a larger funeral home on what was then called Haverhill Street. During the end of World War II, Joseph A. Langone, III joined his father and they opened a modern facility on the corner of Merrimac and New Chardon Streets in the West End of Boston. Due to the relocation of the entire West End, the Langone family was forced once again to relocate to the present modern facility that is seen today at 580 Commercial Street in Boston’s historic North End.The Boston Harborside Home - J.S. Waterman & Sons-Waring-Langone
In July 2005, J.S. Waterman & Sons - Eastman - Waring Funeral Service in Kenmore Square merged with the existing Joseph A. Langone, Jr. Funeral Home in Boston’s North End. This merger created The Boston Harborside Home of J.S. Waterman & Sons-Waring-Langone, which combines more than 250 years of excellence and service to the people of Boston.