In 1907, George Shafer converted a four-room house at 839 First Street into Shafer’s Funeral Parlor. Services were held in the living room of the family’s home. Brentwood Funeral Home is still conducting business in the original location. Behind the funeral home still stands a two-story barn where Mr. Shafer operated a local livery stable. Mr. Shafer was also the town constable and deputy coroner. In 1931, the Shafers enlarged their house and added a large chapel.
Mr. Shafer sold the funeral parlor in 1949 to Roy Bartheld, who subsequently changed the name to Bartheld Funeral Services. Mr. Bartheld did extensive remodeling, making the funeral home a modern facility. He employed Patrick McHenry to work at the mortuary part-time. Mr. McHenry purchased the business from Mr. Bartheld in 1969.
In 1979, a fire in the mortuary necessitated another remodeling of the building. Mr. and Mrs. McHenry operated the business as the only two full-time personnel until 1985, when Raymond A. Glosser was hired as a second full-time director. In preparation for his retirement, Mr. McHenry sold the business in 1993 to the Loewen Group, which was later acquired by the Alderwoods Group. In 2007, Alderwoods was acquired by Service Corporation International and today we are a proud member of the Dignity Memorial® network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers.