The H. J. Brown Coffin House was founded in Raleigh in 1836 by H. J. Brown. Five generations have left nothing undone to make Brown-Wynne Funeral Home one of the most complete mortuary establishments in the South.
Brown-Wynne Funeral Home is North Carolina’s oldest funeral home, as well as the oldest continuous business in Raleigh. We have always had a strong connection with the city of Raleigh. In 1868, Henry Brown assisted in the transfer of 267 confederate soldiers from the Rock Quarry Cemetery to what is now Oakwood Cemetery.
Henry Brown died in 1879, leaving care of the firm to his son, John W. Brown, who also became the first president of the North Carolina Funeral Directors’ Association. In 1915, Henry Brown’s grandson, Fab Brown, began using motor-driven hearses for funerals. This pattern of continuous progress is a hallmark of the business, and continues today.
Brown-Wynne has grown along with Raleigh and the surrounding cities. The original building site was at the corner of Dawson and Morgan Streets. The home moved to the corner of Hargett and Salisbury in 1889, and moved again in 1928 to Hillsborough Street. In 1954, Robert W. Wynne, Jr. built a new home on the corner of St. Mary’s and North Street. He also had the foresight to expand to Cary in 1969 and the Millbrook community in 1973. In 1991, Brown-Wynne proudly became part of the network that would become the Dignity Memorial® network, North America’s largest network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers.