Casey McCallum Rice South Shore Funeral Home was founded near 1920 in Great Kills by Joseph Ward McCallum, who built the first building dedicated to funeral service on Staten Island. Prior to this event, all services were held in a family home or renovated structure.
Upon Mr. McCallum’s passing in 1954, the firm was purchased by Joseph W. Rice, a native Staten Islander. With his wife, Irene, Joseph conducted funerals at the location until his death in 1970. At that time, Timothy A. Rice assumed the management of the location at Giffords Lane until 1997.
In 1997, the funeral home joined with Casey South Shore Funeral Home, which had been constructed in a renovated bank building at 30 Nelson Avenue under the direction of Jack Casey. The Casey family has been recognized as Staten Island’s foremost provider of funeral services since 1875. The merged firms continue to operate in the same caring, family-operated style under the name Casey McCallum Rice South Shore Funeral Home.
For the last three successive years, our firm has received Dignity Memorial’s Gold Award, nationally ranking Casey McCallum Rice South Shore Funeral Home as a provider of "exemplary customer satisfaction."