The current Chapel of the Hills has its roots in Auburn Undertakers, which was established in 1901 in what is now the Native Sons of the Golden West building. In its early years, Auburn Undertakers employed a Mr. Walsh and a Mr. Keena as undertakers and Mr. Colin Hislop as embalmer. Mr. Hislop was elected coroner of Placer County in 1915 and served three terms.
Mr. Hislop later opened and owned the current Chapel of the Hills facility, which was built in 1935. Over the next several years, ownership of Chapel of the Hills transferred from Mr. Hislop to Mr. Doris Hite to Mr. Harry Sands in 1955. Mr. Sands managed the business until 1998 when it was sold to an affiliate of Service Corporation International.
Today, we’re proud to be a member of the Dignity Memorial® network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers. Dignity Memorial providers offer exclusive benefits, including National Transferability of Prearranged Services, the Bereavement Travel Program, the 24-Hour Compassion Helpline® and access to an acclaimed grief management library. As North America’s largest provider of funeral, cremation and cemetery services, the Dignity Memorial brand is your assurance of quality, value, caring service and exceptional customer satisfaction.