History of Clements-Wilcox Funeral Home
Clements-Wilcox Funeral Home was established in the 1930s when Waddell Northington purchased an undertaking company from Lampasas Furniture Company. Historically, the term "undertaker" came from the concept of one agreeing to undertake the necessary service of caring for the dead.
The business Mr. Northington purchased was located on the east side of the square in Burnet. It was later moved to the present location at 306 East Polk Street where it is today. It was soon after this move that Mr. Northington hired Gene Clements to assist him in the business. During this time, ambulance service was provided by the funeral home. In addition to using a hearse to deliver the deceased to the cemetery or train station, the hearse was also used to transport the sick to local hospitals.
After purchasing the business from Mr. Northington in 1949, Mr. Clements remodeled the building and added the approximate 250-seat chapel that is used today. He continued providing ambulance service in addition to the funeral business. He retired after 20 successful and dedicated years of service.
In 1969 Bill and Janice Wilcox became owners of the funeral home, and the name later became Clements-Wilcox Funeral Home. Around 1980, the city of Burnet took over ambulance service as EMS became more established.
Today, from this same location we offer an established and caring staff ready to serve and meet the needs people during their time of need.
We are proud to be a member of the Dignity Memorial® network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers. Dignity Memorial providers offer exclusive benefits, including National Transferability of Prearranged Services, the Bereavement Travel Program, the 24-Hour Compassion Helpline® and access to an acclaimed grief management library. As North America's largest provider of funeral, cremation and cemetery services, the Dignity Memorial brand is your assurance of quality, value, caring service and exceptional customer satisfaction.