The Crosby, Burket and Swanson families have a history in Omaha funeral service dating back to Henry K. Burket’s establishment in 1883.
Henry established Burket Chapel in downtown Omaha in 1883. He later moved the business to 29th and Leavenworth streets, where his son Earl joined him. Henry and Earl continued to serve families from this location until Henry died in 1922.
Earl moved the business from the 29th Street location to a stone structure he acquired and remodeled at 34th and Farnam streets. Earl managed and operated the business until 1955, when he sold it to Randall H. Bigsby. Randall managed and operated the business until merging with Crosby-Kunold in 1967.
The story of Crosby-Kunold begins in 1900, when Willis C. Crosby established a funeral chapel at 24th and Wirt streets. Willis continued to serve families from this location until building a new funeral home with two other Omaha funeral directors. The new funeral home, named Crosby-Carlson-Meyer, opened for business at 32nd and Farnam streets in 1936. The building, made for the sole purpose of funerals, had two chapels with private family rooms adjoining. To many, it was known as the Garden Chapel.
In 1947, William Kunold Mortuary at 24th and J streets merged with Crosby-Carlson-Meyer, forming the Crosby-Kunold Mortuaries.
After the merger with Bigsby’s Burket Chapel, the business began construction on its fifth funeral home in the Omaha area. In 1971, the Crosby-Burket Chapel at 11902 West Center Road opened for business.
The story of Swanson-Golden begins in 1888, when N. P. Swanson established a funeral chapel at 3210 Harney St. Later, N.P. Swanson Mortuary and Kenneth Golden Mortuary merged. After that, Swanson-Gold was sold to longtime employee Richard L. Denton Sr., who managed and operated the business until 1988, when it merged with Crosby-Burket.
After this final merger, Crosby Burket Chapel on 119th
St. and West Center Road was renamed Crosby-Burket-Swanson-Golden Funeral Home.