Richard J. and David A. D’Andrea, founded the funeral home in 1959. Born and raised in Amityville, they were two of seven children born to Donetta (Compitello) and Albert P. D’Andrea.
Richard had always desired to be a funeral director, and graduated from the McAllister School of Embalming in New York City in 1952. Brother David joined the U.S. Navy, and upon completion of his military service, attended the Simmons School of Embalming in Syracuse. He obtained his license in 1958.
At that time, Dave and Richard made the decision to open their own funeral home. In 1958, they bought the property at 99 Oak Street. A brand new building was constructed and the funeral home officially opened on August 1, 1959. In 1962 and 1964, additions were made to the existing building. In 1964, they acquired the Robinson Funeral Home in Amityville, which became a second branch, bearing the name "Robinson & D’Andrea Bros."
Although Richard died in April of 1990, Dave continued the business on his own with a staff of devoted, local people. Dave is retired, but remains an integral part and respected member of the funeral home.