In 1907, Johnson Mortuary was founded by O.C. Johnson. The original building was made of adobe and built in the old part of Yuma. After experiencing a big flood in the area, the mortuary building was lost.
Mr. Johnson and his two sons, Sonny and Robert, built their next location on Second Avenue where the mortuary remained until 1987, when Johnson Mortuary relocated to the Desert Lawn cemetery grounds. The 30-acre Desert Lawn Memorial Park in 1937 when Mr. Johnson purchased land to the south of the Yuma City Cemetery.
In addition to his funeral service work, Mr. Johnson served on the Yuma school board for 33 years and now has an elementary school named in his honor. The Johnson family lived their lives in servitude to their community and their commitment to serving families that began more than century ago continues to this day.
Desert Lawn Memorial Park is proud to be a member of the Dignity Memorial® network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers. Dignity Memorial providers offer exclusive benefits, including National Transferability of Prearranged Services, the Bereavement Travel Program, the 24-Hour Compassion Helpline® and access to an acclaimed grief management library.