Edo Miller was born in Bokim, Germany, on March 11, 1880. At a young age and unable to speak English, Edo made the trip from Germany alone to join other family members that had preceded him to the United States. He quickly learned the language and the American way of life. In 1909, he purchased a furniture store in downtown Brunswick and began providing funeral services at the store.
In 1911, he attended Gupton Jones Mortuary College in Nashville, Tennessee, and formally established Edo Miller Funeral Home in 1912. It was located at 1626 Newcastle Street, across the street from the Oglethorpe Hotel.
In 1952, Mr. Miller moved the funeral home to a larger location at 1107 Gloucester Street. After Mr. Miller’s death, his family continued to operate the funeral home, and in 1956, “and Sons” was added to the name.
In 1965, the funeral home colors were changed to burgundy and black, a tradition we continue to this day. The funeral home was restored to its original façade in 1987, and in 1994, a new spacious building was constructed at 3321 Glynn Avenue.
Throughout the years, Mr. Miller and his family have been committed to serving the Brunswick community. Mr. Miller was given credit for bringing professional baseball to Brunswick and was the President of the Brunswick Pirates Farm Club. For this reason, our local baseball park was renamed in his honor and continues to bear his name today.
We have a staff of almost 30 employees who are dedicated to continuing the traditions the Miller family began in our community. We have served the families of this area for many generations and look forward to being here for many generations to come.
Today, almost 100 years later, we are proud members of the Dignity Memorial ® network of funeral, cremation and cemetery providers. The Dignity Memorial brand is your assurance of quality, value, caring service and customer satisfaction.