History of Elliott-Hamil Funeral Home
Pete and Mittie Elliott founded the original Elliott's Funeral Home, located at North Second and Orange streets, in 1933. This was considered a bold move by many in the Abilene community who were skeptical of the survival of a new business during the Great Depression. In order to be available to the community at all times, Mr. and Mrs. Elliott built their own home next to the funeral home. It was not unusual for people to knock on the Elliott's door at all hours when assistance was needed. Not only did the Elliotts offer funeral service, they also provided ambulance service to the Abilene community.
In 1947, the Elliotts and their daughter, Jo Ann, moved the business to 542 Hickory St. After Jo Ann graduated from Abilene High School, she decided to follow in her parents' professional footsteps. She attended the Dallas Institute of Mortuary Science, where she was one of only two women in her class. In 1958, Jo Ann married John Hamil, who was also a funeral director. In an effort to handle the increasing needs of a growing city, the family built another funeral home in 1974 on Highway 277.
At that time, the funeral home name was changed to Elliott-Hamil Funeral Homes. In 1986, Mr. and Mrs. Hamil’s son Robert became a third-generation funeral director and an integral part of the family business. John had a dream of seeing a cemetery established next to the funeral home on Highway 277. That dream became a reality in 1996 when the Elliott-Hamil Garden of Memories was opened. Today, Elliott-Hamil continues to be a family of dedicated professionals serving all faiths. Their commitment is still that of Pete and Mittie Elliott: to be sensitive to the needs of West Texas families in every aspect of funeral service.
We're proud to be part of the Dignity Memorial® network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers. We're committed to exceeding expectations and delivering a standard of service that is 100 percent guaranteed.