History of Evergreen Funeral Home and Cemetery
Evergreen Funeral Home and Cemetery was established in 1898. According to our local historian, David Dilgard, "Evergreen Cemetery has been called the ‘biographical encyclopedia’ of Everett, Washington. Platted in 1898, this 100-acre cemetery has long been regarded as a local heritage resource of substantial value. It is the final resting place of numerous prominent citizens, including two U.S. Senators and four governors, and more than 150 Civil War veterans. Evergreen is also known for its remarkable landscape comprised of century-old plantings and ‘state champion’ trees." Evergreen Funeral Home was added to the cemetery in the mid 1980s.
Evergreen is also known for the Rucker Mausoleum, a 30-foot Washington granite pyramid resting on a stone-encased earthen plinth, designed by F.W. Ladd of Seattle and constructed at a cost of $30,000. This mausoleum has a large door of Red Beach granite from Maine. The chapel space inside is surmounted by a large dome with four art glass windows, and at one time contained a gas chandelier. There are 22 crypts, with fitted closures made of polished Barre granite from Vermont. A large, seated bronze figure of Jane Rucker once stood atop the doorway.