The history of the mortuaries began in 1918 when Michael J. Feeney’s grandfather, Martin T. Feeney, founded the firm with a cousin. Michael’s father, Harry J. Feeney, continued the home until 1960 when he bought another existing mortuary and merged to form the Feeney-Kirby Mortuary.
In 1973 and 1978, Michael Feeney and his brother-in-law, Michael Hornak, built the two existing mortuaries and renamed them Feeney-Hornak Mortuaries. Michael Feeney and Michael Hornak built another mortuary on the Westside and closed the facility in the inner city. In 1987, an affiliate of Service Corporation International® purchased the three facilities from Feeney-Hornak and two years later closed the Westside location and subsequently sold it.