Forest Lawn Memorial Park opened in May 1926 and was originally located on 45 acres of land. The cemetery has since expanded to more than 160 acres. The property changed hands during the depression and, again, in 1949, when Dr. G.F. Swarts purchased the park. In 1951, the old Pine Grove Golf Course, located south of Lucas Street, was converted to cemetery spaces and annexed to the cemetery. Forest Lawn Funeral Home was added in 1973.