In 1857, Henry Stayner and Joseph Hammond merged their businesses to form Stayner & Hammond, Cabinet Makers, Upholsterers and Undertakers. The business was located on Bank St. in New London, Connecticut. The partnership lasted until Mr. Stayner’s death in 1876.
At that time, Samuel Caulkins joined Mr. Hammond to operate Hammond & Caulkins Cabinetmakers and General Furnishing Undertakers. They moved the business to Bradley St. in New London. After Mr. Hammond’s death in 1890, Mr. Eldridge Prentis joined Mr. Caulkins in Caulkins & Prentice Undertakers and moved their business to Federal St. in New London. In 1896, after Mr. Caulkins’s death, Mr. Prentice’s son, Samuel, joined the business and changed the name to Prentis Funeral Home. When Eldridge Prentis died in 1939, Samuel sold the business to H. Fremont Alderson and operated it as Alderson-Prentis Funeral Service. Alderson opened a satellite location in Niantic, CT in 1954 and acquired the Jewett Funeral Home in Old Lyme, CT in 1960. The final move of the New London funeral home took place in 1965 to Ocean Ave., New London.
After Samuel Prentis’s death and years of operating the business alone, Mr. Alderson sold the business in 1978 to two of his employees, Joseph Fulton and Paul Theroux. They operated all three locations together and in 1989, changed the business name to Fulton-Theroux Funeral Home. In 1998, Paul Theroux retired and left Joseph and his son, Nicholas Fulton, to operate the business. That same year, Joseph made the decision to join the Dignity Memorial network, North America’s largest network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers. For more than 150 years, our business has served the families of southeastern Connecticut with the basic principles of trust, respect, integrity, and value.