The year was 1911 when Marcus Twain Gipson became a mortician and joined W. M. Glenn’s hardware and furniture store to assist with funerals handled by the firm. In 1934, he acquired the funeral business and named it Gipson Funeral Home.
Gipson was a very well respected man around Lufkin and formulated a business that would become a leader in the community. After his passing, Gipson’s son Elwyn continued to care for the many families who knew his father with the same reputation for compassion, honesty and sincerity. With Elwyn at the helm, Gipson Funeral Home became a premiere modern day funeral establishment.