A young man in his 20’s, George T. Davis returned from the Civil War and entered the undertaking business his father, Clark Davis had purchased in Upper New Rochelle. He and his Uncle Burr Davis were placed in charge and received their first call on February 8, 1864. In 1871, George T. Davis moved his business from the outskirts of New Rochelle to the village proper and for the next nine years, the business was run from the Town Hall. His sons followed into the family’s business—George M. in 1890, followed by Harry T. in 1919.
In 1880, he acquired property on Huguenot Street. Although he passed away in the spring of 1917 at the age of 73, the business remained at that location until 1930 when his successors built the existing establishment at 14 Le Count Place.
George T. Davis Funeral Home is in its 145th year of serving families of all faiths in New Rochelle and its surrounding villages and towns. It is proudly recognized as the oldest business established in the City of New Rochelle.