In 1919, the Goodbody family established their name in San Diego by entering into a partnership with the Smith-Dunn Funeral Directors, becoming Smith-Dunn-Goodbody Funeral Directors. The original location was in Little Italy on Ash Street.
The following year, Michael and Dorothy Goodbody purchased the business from their two partners and renamed the business, Goodbody Mortuary, beginning a long tradition in San Diego.
In 1951, the Goodbody family opened a second location on El Cajon Blvd. They named that location "Boulevard Chapel" and named the original location "Ivy Chapel".
In 1963, The Goodbody family purchased the old Blessed Sacrament church building and physically moved it one mile to the location on El Cajon Blvd. With its large seating capacity and historical significance, Goodbody "Boulevard Chapel" became quite well known within the San Diego Catholic community, which is continued to this day.
In 1981, the Ash Street location "Ivy Chapel" was closed and Goodbody Mortuary continued at the El Cajon Blvd. location, still to this day.
Throughout our 90-year history we have continued to lead and innovate while maintaining those high standards of service. We are proud to uphold this heritage and commitment to our community.