History of Green Acres Mortuary & Cemetery
Green Acres Cemetery opened in 1957, founded by the Hawkins family when Scottsdale was still a young town. The mortuary was built at the current location in 1962, making us the first combination mortuary and cemetery in the state of Arizona. Green Acres Mortuary and Cemetery has served more than 25,000 families from the Valley of the Sun during our first 45 years of service.
In 1973, Peace Mausoleum was the first non-visitation mausoleum built west of the Mississippi, and only the third in the United States. The second non-visitation mausoleum at Green Acres, Heritage Mausoleum, was built in 1980. Our third, Serenity Mausoleum, was constructed in 1995. Our other mausoleums, Love Mausoleum and Memories Mausoleum, were built in around 1967 and 2001, respectively. The first main feature we built was the water fountain in the Garden of Flowers. This was built by the original owner’s son, David Hawkins.
Green Acres Cemetery offers families a beautiful and serene setting for their final resting place. The manicured lawns and impeccable landscaping are a hallmark of Green Acres Cemetery. The lawns are maintained in the summer and rye grass is planted in the winter, offering year-round beauty. Beautiful ponds, water features and lush landscaping are only a few of the exceptional features in the gardens that are available at Green Acres Cemetery. The grounds at Green Acres Cemetery are carefully maintained by an endowment care fund to ensure our cemetery’s beauty will continue to endure for generations to come.
Today, we’re proud to be a member of the Dignity Memorial® network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers. We are committed to exceeding expectations and delivering a standard of service that is 100 percent guaranteed.