History of Harry A. Nauman & Son
In 1903, a partnership of funeral directors and embalmers was formed in Sacramento at 1324 J Street. The partners included Harry A. Nauman, a salesman for Ingram & Bird furniture store, William Bath, the proprietor of the Arcade House rooming house, and Bath’s son Nicholas. After six years, the partnership dissolved and Mr. Nauman moved to 1811 G Street, where he operated his funeral home independently for many years.
In 1913, Mr. Nauman was joined by his son, Harry A. Nauman Jr., who learned the business and received his license in 1916. On February 9, 1928, a corporation was formed by Harry A. Nauman Sr., his wife Clara, Harry A. Nauman Jr., his wife Elsa, and C. M. House. Also in 1928, the Naumans constructed a new, modern facility, Spanish-style in nature, at 2021 28th Street, which included all the latest features for funeral homes.
In December 1941, both Harry A. Nauman Sr. and his wife Clara died, and the business was continued by Harry A. Nauman Jr. The Harry A. Nauman & Son name was retained.
Joining Mr. Nauman Jr. in 1947 was Guy G. Heilman. In 1953, they were joined by Mr. Nauman Jr.’s son-in-law, William A. Revitt. In 1958, the business was again incorporated with Harry A. Nauman Jr. as president, Evelyn D. Revitt as vice president, Guy G. Heilman as secretary and William A. Revitt as treasurer.
After World War II, many changes developed in the funeral industry due to the diverse ethnic mix of new residents in the community. What was once considered a "traditional funeral" began to change as many families requested something special or personalized at their services. Nauman’s served families of all ethnicities and religions, and offered what was most meaningful to each and every family.
With the population of Sacramento increasing, it soon became evident that freeways would have to be built, and the site that was suggested for an East-West freeway would eliminate Nauman’s building on 28th Street. A new location for the funeral home was found on Freeport Boulevard, directly across from William Land Park. The new building incorporated large front windows, giving the space an open feeling, and a large foyer where families could visit with their friends.
Mr. Nauman remained active in the business into his 80s but passed away in 1986. On February 22, 1989, the funeral home was sold to an affiliate of Service Corporation International is now part of the Dignity Memorial® network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers. Mr. Heilman continued to work with families until the mid-1990s, and Mr. Revitt passed away in 1992.
The present management continues the tradition established so many years ago by these fine men by serving each family with dignity, integrity and professionalism.