We’re proud of the heritage handed down to us by Christian Hoffmeister, an immigrant from Hanover, Germany, who settled in St. Louis in 1844.
In 1858, Hoffmeister established the Great Western Livery Stable at 7800 Main St. in Carondelet, catering especially to doctors and clergymen making calls. Noting the growing need for more public transportation, he launched the St. Louis and Carondelet Omnibus line, one of the first horse-drawn public carriage systems in the area. Meanwhile, he was asked with growing frequency by friends and neighbors to provide another service: furnishing horses and carriages for funeral processions. Just prior to the outbreak of the Civil War, Hoffmeister became the area’s first funeral director. Hoffmeister Broadway Chapel was opened in 1904, utilizing the original livery stable.
In 1938, grandson George Hoffmeister opened Hoffmeister Colonial Mortuary in St. Louis Hills. The beauty and atmosphere of this Georgian colonial building is a tribute to the tradition established in 1858 by Christian Hoffmeister. In the 1950s and ’60s, Hoffmeister Colonial expanded under the direction of great-grandson Richard Hoffmeister.
In 1991, the Hoffmeister South County Chapel was opened, adjacent to the historic nonsectarian Mount Hope Cemetery in St. Louis County.
The quiet dignity and personalized service that have been hallmarks of the Hoffmeister tradition since 1858 are proudly maintained for all. We’re dedicated to offering families the finest in funeral service at an affordable cost.