History of Karlo-Feucht Funeral Home
Karlo-Libby Funeral Home owes its existence to the 1995 merger of Karlo & Sons Funeral Home in North Canton with the Atkinson-Feucht-Shaidnagle Sunset Hills Chapel. In the early 1990s, the owners of Sunset Hills Burial Park, which was established in 1953 by Richard and Helen Smart, wanted to provide Stark County families with a comfortable funeral home conveniently located across from their cemetery. Using the building of the former Duff's Buffet Restaurant, they created three visitation chapels, a coffee lounge, a children's play room, a large selection room and two arrangement offices.
When it opened in 1993 as Atkinson-Feucht-Shaidnagle Sunset Hills Chapel, the home was staffed by the funeral directors of Atkinson-Feucht-Shaidnagle Funeral Homes of Massillon and Navarre. It was the first Stark County funeral home that was not a converted residence. Atkinson-Feucht-Shaidnagle had been part of the community since its inception in 1906 as Gordon & Hollinger.
Karlo & Sons Funeral Home evolved from the former Lewis & Greenho Funeral Home, located on the corner of Bitzer and South Main streets in North Canton. When Mike Karlo moved his family to North Canton in 1950, he renamed the business Lewis & Karlo Funeral Home and moved the operation a few buildings south to 512 South Main St. His sons, Mick and Ron, joined the family business in the 1960s. The business underwent two additional name changes – first, Lewis, Karlo & Sons Funeral Home and later, Karlo & Sons Funeral Home. After Karlo & Sons Funeral Home became a part of the Dignity Memorial® network of funeral homes in 1995, a decision was made to include the Karlo name at the Sunset Hills Chapel, thus creating Karlo-Feucht Funeral Home.
Sunset Hills Burial at 5001 Everhard Rd. NW consists of 38 acres with 1.5 miles of roadways. In 1964, Sunset Hills was the first cemetery in Ohio to install side-by-side and double-depth lawn crypts. In 1969, a 60-acre expansion at 7920 Frank Ave. NW, North Canton was named Sunset Hills Memory Gardens. The Memory Gardens has 15 developed acres, including three-quarters of a mile of hard surface roads. Contained in Memory Gardens is Veterans Garden, the largest pre-installed lawn crypt in Stark County.
In May 2006, Sunset Hills Burial Park dedicated the Liberty Square memorial to veterans of Stark County who were recipients of the Congressional Medal of Honor. Liberty Square was designed as a living memorial with a veterans tribute area for families to recognize the contributions of their favorite veteran by dedicating a plaque in their honor. Additionally, Liberty Square serves as the site for quarterly veteran ceremonies and Memorial Day remembrances. The square features an exact copy of the Liberty Bell made from the same cast and at the same time as the Liberty Bell displayed in Philadelphia. The Sunset Hills Burial Park and Memory Gardens have been the sites for more than 25,950 burials to date.