In 1876 John Julius Klaehn, a German immigrant furniture maker established Klaehn Funeral Homes. W. Robert Klaehn entered into business with his father, John Julius, and in later years four of W. Robert's children joined the business.
From 1893 to 1895, architects Wing and Mahurin built Robert Bell a Romanesque styled mansion, located at 420 W. Wayne Street. After Mr. Bell's death in 1901 the house was sold to William Noble. Mr. Noble bought the house in 1904 and lived there for 22 years.
In 1926 Mr. Noble sold the home to W. Robert Klaehn, son of the founder of Klaehn Funeral Home, and his four sons. Today Klaehn, Fahl & Melton Funeral Home still operates from the home which Robert Bell built. The home has become one of downtown Ft. Wayne's most historic and well preserved landmarks.