The story of Krieghauser Mortuary-West Chapel begins in 1891, when Herman Kriegshauser established a St. Louis-based funeral service business with his son, George.
George Kriegshauser’s funeral business became known as the George Kriegshauser Livery and Undertaking Co., located at 4104 Manchester Road. A new funeral home subsequently opened at 4228 S. Kingshighway and became known as “Kriegshauser South” in 1929. George passed away in 1930.
George’s widow, Rose, operated the business with their children until 1949, when she passed away, leaving the business to the children. A fire damaged the Kriegshauser South building in August that same year; it was rebuilt as a larger, more modern facility in 1950. During the 1950s, grandsons, Robert, George Jr., James, Herman and Richard Kriegshauser, joined the business.
A second Kriegshauser Mortuary was established in 1959 in St. Louis County, Olivette. Officially named Kriegshauser Mortuary-West Chapel, it is known locally as “Kriegshauser West.” Various Kriegshauser family members have been an integral part of this business, helping families during their time of need. The current staff of Kriegshauser West includes funeral directors George G. Kriegshauser and Robert E. Kriegshauser, general manager Duke M. Pfitzinger, Edward A. Lindner and other staff members with long histories of service to the mortuary.