The land where Lindenwood sits was acquired by treaty from the Potawatomi Indians in 1826. Lindenwood Cemetery was founded in July of 1859 and opened to the public on May 30, 1860 (the year Lincoln was elected President). The first burial at Lindenwood was on July 6, 1850 (2010 marks Lindenwood’s 150th
With more than 69,000 interments and 175 acres, Lindenwood is one of the largest cemeteries in Indiana. Virtually all the founding fathers of Fort Wayne rest in our cemetery. The entrance to the cemetery, with its iron gate and fence, was completed in 1884. On February 17, 1978, Lindenwood was approved by the U.S. Department of Interior for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places.
Lindenwood is the final resting place for hundreds of Civil War veterans. The Union Army was composed of 2.8 million soldiers - more than 4,000 were from Allen County. Our cemetery features a plaque given in gratitude for the Allen County Union Army personnel in the Civil War, and it also honors the last survivor of the Allen County soldiers.
Our cemetery continues to honor those who serve. Just inside our front gate are six flagpoles erected in 2002, dedicated to the branches of the U.S. Armed Forces and POW/MIA’s. In 2002, Lindenwood also dedicated a portion of the Westridge section exclusively for veterans and their spouses. In addition, Lindenwood’s Avenue of Flags is on display four times a year to honor our country and those who have who have served its military.
Lindenwood’s historic Chapel of the Woods, built in 1895, is still in use. Our Bohn Chapel was dedicated in 1967 and is named after Frank E. Bohn, a former President of Lindenwood. Most of Lindenwood’s interment services take place in the Bohn chapel. The reflecting pool outside of the chapel was built in 1972 and is at the site of an old historic lake located there in the middle 1800s.
Our newest Chapel, Gardenview Chapel, opened in 2007. Lindenwood’s Gardenview Mausoleum complex is located in an area that was once the parade grounds, which was the final destination of every Memorial Day Parade. The central feature of that complex is a magnificent 55-foot Schulmerich Carillon bell tower erected in 1977. Lindenwood’s bell tower is a commanding landmark for the community and serves as a tribute to those who rest here.
In 2004, Lindenwood was chosen as the site of the Northeast Indiana AIDS Memorial.
WFWA 39, Fort Wayne’s local PBS station, has produced an hour-long television documentary, Memorial City: The Lindenwood Chronicles
, that traces the history of Fort Wayne through the eyes of Lindenwood Cemetery. These videos are given to area schools and civic groups.