History of Lloyd James Funeral Home
Lloyd James Funeral Home, the oldest funeral home in Tyler, opened in 1895 and was originally operated as part of the Swann's Furniture Store near the downtown square in Tyler. At that time, it was the only funeral home in Tyler. In 1920, Swann sold the funeral service to longtime associate A.K. Thorndike, and the funeral home was relocated to South Broadway and renamed Nunnallee-Thorndike Undertaking Company. The firm operated under that name until the early 1930s when it became known as Thorndike Undertaking Company and the business moved to 110 East Front St.
Around 1944, owner A.K. Thorndike sold an interest in the business to Lloyd James and Truitt Pool, and changed the name to Thorndike-James-Pool Funeral Home. When Mr. Pool sold his interest in the firm in 1947, the name changed again to Thorndike-James Funeral Home. One year later, in 1948, Mr. Thorndike passed away, and the name changed once more to Lloyd James Funeral Home. The firm moved to its current, 15,000-square-foot location 1011 E. First St. in May of 1965, and Lloyd James retained ownership until his death in 1967. Mr. James's business partners, A.C. Smart and Leonard Rozell, acquired his interest in the funeral home and continued the legacy of service to families of East Texas.
Today, Lloyd James Funeral Home is a proud member of the Dignity Memorial® network of funeral, cremation, and cemetery service providers.