The Luyben Family Dilday-Mottell Mortuary is the result of the merger of the three most prominent families in Long Beach funeral service history.
The Mottell family opened their funeral home in 1906 in downtown Long Beach on the corner of 3rd and Alamitos.
Noble and Marie Dilday came to Long Beach from Wichita Kansas and in 1926 opened what was then called the Long Beach Mortuary on the corner of 6th and Atlantic. In 1936 they moved to a new location at Pacific and Anaheim and became Dilday Family Funeral Directors.
John Luyben purchased the property at 5161 Arbor Road and opened the Luyben Family Mortuary in 1966.
By 2001 the three families had merged to combine the best of Long Beach’s traditional commitment to funeral service under one roof, and that commitment continues to this day as part of the Dignity Promise.