History of McGilley Memorial Chapel
McGilley Funeral Homes were originally founded in 1899.
McGilley Memorial Chapels are historically a combination of three firms. The Eylar Brothers Undertakers was established in Kansas City in 1899. The firm of Mellody- Joyce-Taylor was established in the early 1920s and became known as Mellody & McGilley about 1930 when James P. McGilley Sr. became a member of the firm.In 1944 Mr. McGilley purchased the Eylar Brothers Funeral Home and combined the companies at Linwood Boulevard and Woodland Street.
In 1954 Mellody-McGilley-Eylar bought the company of Quirk and Tobin Undertakers at Linwood Boulevard and Main Street.
In 1957, the Quirk and Tobin Funeral Home was renamed Mellody-McGilley-Eylar Funeral Home.
In 1970, the funeral home at Linwood and Woodland was closed and the Linwood and Main location became known as the McGilley Midtown Chapel.
In 1954, Mellody-McGilley-Eylar pioneered prearranged and prefinanced funeral planning and continue to offer this cost-saving service to the families we serve.
In 1991 the McGilleys purchased 5 acres at 123rd and State Line and built a state of the art facility named McGilley State Line Chapel.
With this history, there still remains two generations of the McGilley family serving the families of Kansas City. They are Mark McGilley, Patrick McGilley, Peter McGilley and Kathleen McGilley Asbury.