History of Michael J. Higgins Funeral Service, Inc.
Michael J. Higgins Funeral Service was established in the early 1950’s by community leaders, Michael J. and Dorothy M. Higgins. Mrs. Higgins was the first licensed woman funeral director in Rockland County. Mr. Higgins had the vision to expand and offer a wide range of services to the families of Rockland County during their time of need. In 1967, the Higgins Funeral Home of New City was built as the first stand alone funeral chapel.
In 1969, Mr. Higgins expanded his services to the families of North Rockland by establishing funeral homes in Haverstraw and Stony Point. His dedication and attention to the wishes of families reflected a high quality of standards and service, which has been proudly carried on along with his traditions and legacy of commitment and excellence.
In 1990, the Higgins Funeral Home in the hamlet of Nanuet was closed due to revitalization of the area, and in 1996, Mr. Higgins donated the Higgins Funeral Home in Haverstraw to the Archdiocese of New York and Catholic Charities. Later that year, the Higgins family placed their faith and trust in joining the network that would become the Dignity Memorial network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers. The Dignity Memorial brand name is a symbol of trust, superior quality and attentive care in the funeral, and cremation profession.
The staff at Higgins Funeral Home is motivated by a sincere desire to serve with the utmost consideration, conscientiousness, and respect to all the families. This effort has brought back to us our most cherished and valued asset, which is the degree of satisfaction expressed by the families that we have been privileged to serve over the many years. Higgins Funeral Home will pledge to continue our dedication as a member of the Dignity Memorial network, now and in the future.