Mount Moriah Cemetery has been serving the Kansas City community since 1922. While it is now nonsectarian, the facility originally was founded to serve Freemasons and their families. Mount Moriah opened for interments on June 1, 1923.
Construction of our Great Temple Mausoleum was completed in 1926. The architectural style of the temple dates from the third dynasty of Egypt, and is based on the Temple of Karnak. In the center of the mausoleum is the Temple Room, used to this day for Masonic ceremonies. A second mausoleum with an interment chapel was built in 1964 along with a funeral home to complete the total service offered today at Mount Moriah & Freeman Funeral Home and Cemetery. The Faith Mausoleum was constructed in 1979.
Through the years many new gardens and features have been added to the cemetery. In the southwest corner of the cemetery is a replica of the George Washington Monument that contains a list of names of the original property owners at Mount Moriah. The lake on the east side is surrounded by beautiful family estates. The Garden Walk of Memories is reserved exclusively for cremation options. On the north side is our Veterans Garden, dedicated to the honor of those men and women who served our country. Various religious and secular statuary are featured in the gardens throughout the grounds.
Bordering the Little Blue River Valley, our grounds offer a glimpse of wildlife such as geese, ducks, deer, and foxes. The history and setting of Mount Moriah provide a peaceful, serene atmosphere to reflect on and remember those who have gone before us.