Nickerson Bourne Funeral Home, the first funeral home on Cape Cod, was opened by Ned Nickerson in Bourne Village in 1898. The original home was located on County Road and was a one-room structure with an out-building for casket sales. At the time, most wakes were held in family homes, but as this was changing, the funeral home moved to a new location on Waterhouse Road at Bourne Village Five Corners, where it remained until the early 1960s. Mr. Nickerson also opened a branch in Cotuit on Route 28 which operated for several years
Upon Mr. Nickerson’s death in the early 1960s, the business was purchased by Joseph Silvia and Harold McDonald and moved to a new location on Route 28 with a branch location in Sandwich. In 1976 the business was sold to Clement Walsh and two partners whom Mr. Walsh bought out a few years later. Additions were made to the Bourne home in1981 and to the Sandwich building in 1983. Mr. Walsh purchased another funeral home in Middleboro (Carbonneau Funeral Home) in 1993 and made a large addition to the facility.
In 1999 Mr. Walsh sold the company to Keystone Group, which was acquired by Service Corporation International in 2010.
Today, we are proud to be a member of the Dignity Memorial® network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers. Dignity Memorial providers offer exclusive benefits, including National Transferability of Prearranged Services, the Bereavement Travel Program, the 24-Hour Compassion Helpline® and access to an acclaimed grief management library. As North America’s largest provider of funeral, cremation and cemetery services, the Dignity Memorial brand is your assurance of quality, value, caring service and exceptional customer satisfaction.