History of O. B. Davis Funeral Homes
O.B. Davis Funeral Homes, believed to be one of the oldest surviving businesses on Long Island, is now entering its 152nd
year of dedicated service to the community.
The distinguished lineage of ownership began in 1858 when E.A. Raynor, a local Port Jefferson resident, acquired the business from Ambrose T. King, the local undertaker and cabinetmaker. By 1898, Mr. Raynor expanded the business to East Main Street in lower Port Jefferson, where he operated a furniture and undertaking establishment.
Orlando B. Davis acquired ownership in 1914 upon the death of E.A. Raynor. He continued serving the community until his death in 1927. Following his death, the widow, and children of O.B. Davis, incorporated the business to its current name. In 1935, the Davis family made the decision to separate the undertaking service and the furniture business.
The funeral establishment served the surrounding community for more than fifty years at its East Main Street location. But, the need for larger and more modern facilities developed as the years passed. The Davis family opened the Port Jefferson Station location in 1964 on the south side of Nesconset Highway and Terryville Road in Port Jefferson Station.
In 1976, O.B. Davis Funeral Homes expanded its business by acquiring its location in Centereach, New York. A complete renovation of the funeral home was completed to afford the families of the Centereach community the same modern facilities as the Port Jefferson Station funeral home.
As the funeral home businesses grew, the decision was made in 1990 to open a third location in Miller Place, New York. We are proud to have Bruce Davis, a fourth-generation descendent of the Davis family on our staff as a distinguished funeral director. Though we have grown through the years, we still continue to embrace the value of compassionate and personal care that we hope has achieved an honored reputation.