George W. Olinger was a successful businessman, philanthropist, civic leader, Mason and churchman, who began working in his family’s funeral business at age 15. Over time his business interests grew and included mausoleums, a crematory, insurance, immediate need services and cemeteries, including Olinger Crown Hill Mortuary, Cemetery & Arboretum.
Between 1890 and 1907 the population of Denver had nearly doubled, standing at almost 213,000. The population boom led to an increased need for services, including end-of-life interment, and George W. Olinger, along with five other Denver entrepreneurs, formed the Crown Hill Cemetery Association with the vision of “converting land just west of Wadsworth Avenue…into one of the finest cemeteries in the vicinity of Denver.”
The vision set forth by the members of the Crown Hill Cemetery Association quickly became a reality with the purchase of 180 acres of land from part of a farm owned by Colorado legislator Henry Lee. In December 1907 Crown Hill Cemetery opened. In 1926, construction began within the cemetery on what would become a Denver landmark – the historic Tower of Memories mausoleum, providing another interment option to meet the growing and diverse needs of the community.
Today Olinger Crown Hill’s continues its heritage of providing the quality, compassionate care and community engagement embodied by its founder. Colorado Pioneers, veterans, members of fraternal organizations and those of the general population of metro Denver rest within the gates of the 240-acre sanctuary.
The staff of Olinger Crown Hill Mortuary, Cemetery & Arboretum remain committed to providing the dignified care that has been a hallmark of Crown Hill for more than a century.