Pendry’s Lenoir Funeral Home was established in 1938 by Paul Pendry. Upon the opening of the business, the name given to the business was Lenoir Funeral Home, but was later changed to Pendry’s Lenoir Funeral Home.
The first Lenoir Funeral Home facility was a large two-story residence on Harper Avenue in Lenoir. In addition to the funeral service, Lenoir Funeral Home operated an ambulance service 24 hours a day for the community.
During its first year, 52 families recognized Paul Pendry’s sensitivity and caring concern. The business has grown to handle more than 300 services per year. Bill Pendry, the son of Paul, grew up in the funeral home and continued the family tradition. Bill obtained his funeral director’s license in 1967 and came into the business with his father. In 1972, Lenoir Funeral Home moved to a larger and more modern location on Wilkesboro Boulevard in Lenoir.
Over the years, the funeral home has expanded the building to better assist families in their most difficult time. In February 2003, a full-time on-site crematory was added to the location.
Times have certainly changed since the business began more than 60 years ago with a single entrepreneur in the City of Lenoir. However, the one thing that continues to carry on through the years is the ability of Pendry’s Lenoir Funeral Home & Crematory to serve families with the highest degree of professionalism and compassion.