History of Resthaven Funeral Home & Cemetery
Located two miles west of Texas Tech University and just inside the 26-mile loop around the city of Lubbock, Resthaven occupies 90 acres of land. The cemetery (originally named Tech Memorial Park) was founded in 1948 by P.W. Curry. Mr. Curry had been in law enforcement in New York City before relocating to Lubbock. In the early 1950s, Bill Curry and James A. Curry became co-owners with P.W. Curry. In 1954, R.P. Brown joined with the Currys to build the mausoleum. In 1964 Edward R. Smith and four other men purchased the cemetery. They started planning an addition of a funeral home, which opened in 1965.