Ridout's Trussville Chapel can trace its linage to the founding family of Rufus Lackey. Starting with Service Insurance Company in the mid 1920's Mr. Lackey rapidly grew his business combining with Brown Insurance Company a few years later. This combination soon resulted in the largest burial insurance provider in the state. He established Brown Service Manufacturing that provided caskets for the policy holders.
During this time, he started acquiring funeral homes in Birmingham and the surrounding communities that would serve as funeral service providers for his policy holders. Other funeral homes in the state opted to be authorized funeral directors for Brown Service Insurance policy holders. In 1949, Mr. Lackey sold the insurance company to Liberty National Insurance Company and many of his funeral homes to the operating managers. His family decided to remain in the funeral business, keeping three funeral homes in downtown Birmingham.
During the 1950s and 1960s, Mr. Lackey built four more funeral homes in the Birmingham metro area. After Rufus Lackey's death in 1971, Julian Lackey, Sr. ascended as president of the company. With his son, Julian, Jr., they continued to expand the company by building and acquiring funeral homes as far south as Montgomery to as far north as Decatur, Alabama. Ridout's Trussville Chapel opened in June 1975 as Ridout's Jefferson East Chapel with John W. Davis as the first manager and Robert B. Nolen as vice president. The name was changed in 1997 with the expansion of Trussville city limits. Throughout the company's history, Mr. Lackey's number one priority was to ensure that our families received the highest standard of care, and this philosophy remains to this day.
Today, we are proud to be part of the Dignity Memorial®
national network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers. We are committed to exceeding expectations and delivering a standard of service that is 100 percent guaranteed. Our convenient location offers families a spacious chapel with a private family seating section accommodating up to 36 people and the main chapel with seating for 280 guests. To better serve families, we have several other locations and affiliates located in Birmingham and throughout Alabama.