Undertaker Charles E. Schimunek founded the original funeral home in 1937 in a northeast Baltimore row house at the intersection of Madison and Luzerne streets. The neighborhood at that time was a strong ethnic community and he concentrated much of his business around the Bohemian traditions. As the business flourished, Mr. Schimunek found the need to expand the business and opened a second location in 1957 at 3331 Brehms Lane, a block off the intersection of Belair Road and Erdman Avenue. This location remains in operation today.
As his family grew, he decided to open a third location in the spring of 1972 at 9705 Belair Road in the Perry Hall and White Marsh neighborhoods. Shortly thereafter, the original location at Madison Street closed. Mr. Schimunek died in the fall of 1978 and was succeeded in business by his wife, Rita, a licensed funeral director. She has since passed away.
As families traveled northward along the Highway 95 and Belair Road corridors to as far as northern Harford County, Schimunek realized the need for an additional location. To accommodate many of these families, another establishment was constructed in the late 1990s at Rt. 24 and West MacPhail Road in Bel Air. Today, the Schimunek Funeral Homes are proud to have served several generations of many local families.
Schimunek Funeral Homes are currently managed by the third generation of the Schimunek family – Brian D. Lewis, Mr. and Mrs. Schimunek’s grandson.
Today, we are proud to be a member of the Dignity Memorial® network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers. Dignity Memorial providers offer exclusive benefits, including National Transferability of Prearranged Services, the Bereavement Travel Program, the 24-Hour Compassion Helpline® and access to an acclaimed grief management library. As North America’s largest provider of funeral, cremation and cemetery services, the Dignity Memorial brand is your assurance of quality, value, caring service and exceptional customer satisfaction.