Shannon Funeral Chapel dates back to 1906. North Fort Worth was a separate town when S.D. “Dave” Shannon arrived 20 years earlier. With his partner, long-time funeral director George L. Gause, they recognized the opportunity that existed in the rapidly growing North Fort Worth region.
Dave Shannon soon moved into county and state politics and turned the firm over to his sons, J. Oliver Shannon and S.D. Shannon, who improved the business by adding the finest horse drawn hearse and ambulance. In 1919 they bought out Gause’s interest and changed the name to Shannon Funeral Chapel. Later they were joined by younger brother, Marvin Boyd Shannon.
The company relocated several times before finally settling into a new and larger facility at the corner of 12th
(now Northside Drive) and North Main streets. The funeral home shared facilities with Tarrant Masonic Lodge #942, which is directly across the street from the Shannon North’s current location.
In the 1920s a second location was built in the Polytechnic Heights area of East Fort Worth. This new chapel was the first building in Fort Worth built specifically as a funeral home.
Prosperity returned to the nation in the 1940s and in 1949 the North Chapel was relocated to its present location across Northside Drive. Air conditioned ambulances and limousines were also added to the Shannon fleet.
The ensuing 30 years were ones of ample growth and change. Jack and George Shannon joined the enterprise, representing the family’s third generation of funeral directors. The two insurance companies were merged into one, forming Shannon Life. The North Chapel was enlarged twice and a new facility, Shannon TCU, was opened in 1968 in response to Southwest Fort Worth’s need for a premier modern facility.
During the late 1960s ambulance service was discontinued when city managed ambulance service was initiated. The days of the fondly remembered “little red ambulance” were over.
In 1984 Shannons expanded into the cemetery business through the purchase of the historic 90-acre Rose Hill Cemetery in East Fort Worth. The park was renamed Shannon Rose Hill and restoration began immediately. The cemetery, which was founded in 1929 and had conducted over 18,000 burials, had an estimated 30,000 undeveloped spaces when purchased. In 1988 Shannon Rose Hill Funeral Chapel was opened on the cemetery grounds.
By 1993 the growing Shannon Companies had expanded into cemetery, floral, life insurance and advanced funeral planning operations and it was time to refocus. The life insurance company was sold to a larger insurer with deep Tarrant County roots. Shortly thereafter, the firm recognized that many of the families it had served for generations were moving to thriving Northeast Tarrant County. In 1997 the company responded by opening Shannon Rufe Snow Drive Funeral Chapel.
In the early 2000s Shannon Funeral Chapel made the decision to close Shannon North, its oldest chapel, and focus on serving families at Shannon Rufe Snow Funeral Chapel and Shannon Rose Hill Funeral Chapel and Cemetery.
Today, Shannon Funeral Chapels is a multifaceted, dynamic and growing business offering a wide range of death care products and services through four funeral homes, a cemetery and a florist.
Although much has changed during the past 90 plus years, much has stayed the same. Our talented and devoted staff proudly continues the legacy of providing the very best in service, attentiveness and compassion to client families. Today more than ever, Shannon Funeral Chapels are close, convenient and committed to our community.