In 1876, James H. Brandon, son of town founder John Brandon and wife Martha, built this large two-story frame home for his wife, Johanna, and their seven children. They loved entertaining guests in their Folk Victorian southern mansion.
In 1901, William and Doc Estelle Brandon Varnedoe purchased the home. Around 1912, Edward Linsley bought it and from 1946 to 1955 his daughter’s family, the Walter Claytons, lived here. In 1960, with financial backing from John "Rudy" Williams, Dick Stowers’ dream commenced when they purchased and converted it into a funeral home. The facade and basic floor plan of the original L-shaped house has been preserved.
The structure, the Brandon Homestead, is still a central image in Brandon, Florida and, as Stowers Funeral Home, it has served and taken care of families during their most difficult times for generations. Original founder, Dick Stowers, operated the Stowers Funeral home until he retired in the late-90s.