David Abraham Striffler began his career at the firm of C.L. Torbett Company in 1908 in Columbus, Georgia. In 1913, he joined the firm Herring and Knight, which started as an undertaking business in 1886.
In 1923, Mr. Striffler started his own business called the D.A. Striffler Company in downtown Columbus. In 1930, Striffler moved into the first building used as a funeral home in Columbus and renamed the funeral home Striffler Mortuary.
Thelon A. Hamby Jr. began working for Striffler while attending high school in 1932. Hamby continued working at the funeral home after graduation, and in 1954, Hamby became partner and the funeral home was renamed Striffler-Hamby Mortuary.
When Striffler passed away in 1964, Hamby became president and grew the business by adding a second location in east Columbus in 1972. In 1980, Hamby’s son, Thelon A. Hamby III, joined the company. A year later, the company expanded once again when they purchased Buice Chapel in Phenix City.
In 1995, the three Striffler-Hamby Mortuaries were acquired by Service Corporation International and ultimately became a member of the Dignity Memorial® network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers.
Throughout the years, Striffler-Hamby Mortuary has been a leader of funeral service in our community and our employees continue to provide a high standard of service and excellence to the families we serve.