The Ted Dickey Funeral Home has a long history of service to the families of Plano and North Dallas.
In 1892, Andrew Wetzel and E.O Harrington partnered to supply caskets, couches and ambulance service to the citizens of the community. Like many funeral service providers of the time, their undertaking activities took place in office space located above their furniture store. Andrew Wetzel later decided to focus his efforts on furniture making and they split up the business.
The mortuary, then known as the “E. O. Harrington Undertaking Company,” moved from its second floor locale in downtown Plano to a residential home located at the west end of 15th Street. Jack and Ted Harrington added a 125-seat chapel, a preparation room and a viewing room, and the Harrington Funeral Home was born.
In 1970, Ted and Carolyn Dickey arrived in sleepy Plano, population 13,000, and assumed the day-to-day responsibilities of the funeral home. Jack Harrington had passed away in February of that year and the Dickeys purchased ownership of the business. In the years since, the Dickeys were blessed with many opportunities to grow with their community. Carolyn, an elementary school teacher, took an active role in establishing organizations such as Service League, The Women’s Division of the Chamber of Commerce and the Plano Junior League. Ted was the founder of the Plano Sports Authority, served three terms as Justice of the Peace and three terms on the school board as a trustee of the PISD. They served on a number of boards and civic committees. Along the way, they raised two sons, Grant and Linn.
In 1974, the Dickeys opened a new mortuary in East Plano at 18th and Jupiter streets, directly across from Plano Mutual Cemetery. The 7,200-square foot facility continues to serve the community.
Both Ted and Carolyn remain active in the community and in the business of helping their friends and neighbors.