The Ted Dickey Funeral Home has a long history of service to the families of Plano and North Dallas. In 1892, Andrew Wetzel and E.O Harrington partnered to supply caskets, couches and ambulance service to the citizens of the community. Like many funeral service providers of the time, the undertaking activities took place in office space located above the furniture store. Andrew Wetzel later decided to focus his efforts on furniture making and the partners split up the business. The mortuary, then known as the “E. O. Harrington Undertaking Company,” moved from their second-floor locale in downtown Plano to a residential home located at the west-end of 15th
Street. With the addition of a 125-seat chapel, and a viewing room, the Harrington Funeral Home was born.
In June of 1970, Ted and Carolyn Dickey arrived in Plano, Texas, and purchased Harrington Funeral Home. Over the next 40 years, they were blessed with many opportunities to grow with their community. Carolyn took an active role in establishing organizations such as Service League, The Women’s Division of the Chamber of Commerce, and the Plano Junior League. Ted was the founder of the Plano Sports Authority, served three terms as Justice of the Peace and three terms on the school board as a trustee of the PISD.
In 1974, the Dickeys opened a new 7,200 square foot mortuary in east Plano at 18th
and Jupiter, directly across the street from Plano Mutual Cemetery, which still serves the community today. As the town grew westward, they also established a second location, Ted Dickey West on the east bound access road of the George Bush Tollway. Both Ted and Carolyn remain active in the community and in the business of helping their friends and neighbors.