In the early 1900s, when the custom was for families to hold wakes for the deceased in the family home, Regent Fortin Sr. was working in the furniture business, first at the F.X. Marcotte Furniture Store established in 1888 on Lincoln Street and then at a location he opened with a partner at 413 Lisbon Street in Lewiston.
Soon thereafter, families began the transition from having undertaking services and embalming take place in the family home to utilizing funeral homes for these services. In 1925, Mr. Fortin separated from his partnership in the furniture business and became an owner at Poisson & Fortin Funeral Home on Park Street in Lewiston. When Mr. Fortin Sr. died, his sons Donat and Roland G. Fortin established their funeral home at its existing location at 70 Horton Street in Lewiston.
Always trying to keep families’ needs in mind, Fortin Funeral Directors underwent several renovations to the existing facility. A major renovation in 1963 incorporated a parking lot, more spacious parlors for visitations and the comfort of air conditioning. A renovation in 2008 restored many of the building’s original architectural details and created a Celebration of Life Center, a full-service meeting and banquet room with multimedia capabilities.
In 1975, Roland G. Fortin sold his interest to existing shareholders Raymond Duprez, Denis Croteau and Roger Bouffard. In 1985, Raymond A. Perreault also became a shareholder in Fortin Funeral Directors. In 1992, the Fortin Funeral Directors merged with Plummer & Merrill & Teague Funeral Homes, changing the name of the business to The Fortin Group of Lewiston and Auburn and offering a choice of locations to the families of Lewiston and Auburn.
Since 1998, The Fortin Group has been part of the Dignity Memorial® network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers. Our local staff members are experts in arranging meaningful remembrances of life in our welcoming, warm and comforting facilities, providing each family with service beyond expectation.