History of Theo C. Auman, Inc.
Established by T.C. Auman in 1889, Theo. C. Auman, Inc. today continues Auman’s tradition of excellent service for the Berks County and Reading area.
Auman began his career as a funeral professional when, at age 16, he apprenticed himself as a cabinet maker and funeral director in New Holland (Lancaster County), Pennsylvania.
In 1890, Auman and his brother William formed Auman Brothers, a funeral directing firm located at 16 N. Third St., Reading.
By 1896 Auman’s services were so much in demand that he had to expand his operation. He established a casket factory and funeral directing business at 320 Court St. According to business records, in 1900 Auman conducted more than 400 funerals, a testimony to the reputation he’d earned within the community.
In 1905, Auman moved the funeral home to its present location at 247 Penn St., where it continues to maintain a tradition of excellent service.
When Auman died in 1936, the business passed to his son, T.C. Auman, Jr., who along with Earl K. Angstadt, operated the business until 1975, when Theo C. Auman III assumed full responsibility for the business.
Today, Theo C. Auman, Inc. is proud to be a member of the Dignity Memorial® network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers. We’re committed to exceeding expectations and delivering a standard of service that is 100 percent guaranteed.