History of Vernon C. Wagner Funeral Homes
The birth of the Vernon C. Wagner Funeral Homes, Inc. began in the coal mining region of Pennsylvania. After serving in the Navy during World War II, Vernon Wagner went to the McAllister Institute and became a licensed New York State funeral director.
In 1954, he and his wife, Alice, purchased the big old white house on the corner of Old Country Road and Jerusalem Avenue in Hicksville. It was part of the estate of Dr. Shea, but for years had been a rooming house. He opened for business in August of that year. The rest of the 1950s saw much activity with building and remodeling to accommodate the growth of the community.
The business was remodeled again in the 70s and 80s and by this time the Wagner Funeral Home had one of the largest chapels in the area. With the addition of the Plainview location in 1985, Bill Wagner continued his father’s quest to fulfill the needs of area residents while, at the same time, making quality funeral services even more accessible and convenient.
For almost 50 years, the Vernon C. Wagner Funeral Homes has been providing thoughtful and dignified funeral arrangements to the members of our community. Each member of our staff is dedicated to uphold the highest standards of our funeral home
We’re proud to be a member of the Dignity Memorial® network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers. Dignity Memorial providers offer exclusive benefits, including National Transferability of Prearranged Services, the Bereavement Travel Program, the 24-Hour Compassion Helpline® and access to an acclaimed grief management library. The Dignity Memorial brand is your assurance of quality, value, caring service and customer satisfaction.