History of Walter B. Cooke Funeral Home
Walter B. Cooke, owner and operator of one of the largest undertaking companies in New York City and a graduate of the Renouard School of Embalming, started his career working for National Casket Company. In 1916, he opened his own business at 4-6 Fordham Road in The Bronx. Within one year, he was so successful that he incorporated and opened businesses at West 190th
Street and Willis Avenue in The Bronx as well as 10th
Avenue in New York City and Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn. He owned and operated his own livery using a fleet of Rolls Royces.
“A funeral should never cost more than a family could afford” was the motto that Walter B. Cooke adopted and a philosophy that has continued for more than 90 years.
A visionary, Walter B. Cooke continued to open funeral homes in Manhattan, The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and White Plains.
Walter B. Cooke sold his business privately in the early fifties, and it was again sold to Kinney National in 1965. In 1971, Walter B. Cooke Funeral Home joined the Dignity Memorial® network, North America’s premier provider of funeral, cremation and cemetery services.