History of Weaver Funeral Home
The Weaver name has been synonymous with traditional funeral service in Knoxville since 1919, when George R. Weaver, S.L. Sallings, and John Mikels started a funeral home on Market Street.
Weaver, Sallings, and Mikels Funeral Home flourished and in 1921, G.R. Weaver bought Sallings and Mikels’ share of the business, creating Weaver Funeral Home. The Weaver family and their dedicated staff served families in Knox and surrounding counties.
A caring and sympathetic man, G.R. Weaver was highly respected in the Knoxville area. His business grew with each passing year and eventually, Mr. Weaver’s sons joined him in the business.
George Weaver passed away in 1951 at the age of 72. His wife Ida J. Bressler Weaver, his sons Ray, Frank, and Earl, and daughters Edith Weaver Cardwell and Audrey Weaver Clendenen took over management of the funeral home.
The business continued to grow and in 1958, the Weavers moved it to 3930 Oak Ridge Highway, West Haven. While serving the community from this facility, Ida, Earl, Ray and Audrey passed away. After their deaths, Frank, Edith, Ray’s children and Earl’s children were the owners of the business.
In 1988, Frank Weaver and his son Gary decided to open a new funeral home at 5815 Western Ave, naming it Weaver’s Cumberland Memorial Chapel.
In 2006, Weaver Funeral Home joined the Dignity Memorial network. Becky Dahl has served as location manager since 1999.